Tuesday 26 May 2015

Reaching down

On the back of my car, there is the symbol of the Christian fish. You might think that I stuck it on in a hurry because it isn't level, for it is swimming downward...



For your unfailing love is as high as the heavens. Your faithfulness reaches to the clouds. Be exalted, O God, above the highest heavens. May your glory shine over all the earth. (Psalm 57:10-11)

I whisper, exhort, encourage, shout and implore my own heart to hear that message from the psalmist that God's love to me and to us and our families will not fail. There is depth, permanence and stability in the psalmist's spirit as he sings, writes or whatever he is doing as he first utters these things.

I return fairly often in my mind (or at least this morning) to the truth of the "benefit" of developing a richer and more profound spirituality through prayer and meditation. To me, it feels more and more that God created us with a need to go deep. I put "benefit" in quotes because the word makes me think too much of some kind of superficial gratification without those quotes.

Reaching down to God - and not just up or out - helps us become deeper more profound individuals, but the benefits are for all: for our families, our friends, other seekers, our communities and so on.


See also my report from my recent family experience with a small orthodox assembly on Sunday of Pentecost (yet to be written)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks very much for your feedback, really appreciate the interaction.